Tuesday, September 14

End of Day Four

The Pass was terribly hard. It rained viciously the whole time, with winds ranging up to 40-50 mph gusts. The track, such as it was, was wet and rocky.

Top of the pass it was 4 degrees C. I was not prepared for the damp and the cold, and at the top my fellows had to lend me some dry clothes to prevent hypothermia. I ate two Mars bars and some fruit juice concentrate. With the dry clothes, I was ok to proceed.

The downhill was treacherous as I had imagined. It was steep, rocky and wet. There were a few fun watery passes, and I've got a great picture of one that I'll post when I return home.

Toward the end, on a straightforward and wide clay section, I washed out and skidded on my knee. I cut myself somewhat badly and so I went to a local clinic. The doctor said I was fine but put in two stitches for good measure. She also gave the wound a thorough cleaning to avoid infection.

All told, today was rough and dicey, but it was surely a day to remember. I experienced pain, fear as cold as well as comradery, joy and brilliant beauty. It was a day to remember. A hard day. A humbling day. The mountain almost beat be, but in the end, thanks to friends and my guide, I made it home happily and almost no worse for the wear - and I think a good bit wiser!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment